Have you ever noticed how stressful it is to not sleep well? If you’re not sleeping well then mild stressors become mountains and life can seem overwhelming. This is the short course on how to fix your insomnia problems.
1. The bed is for two things only sex and sleep
2. No T.V. in bed or reading
3. Go to bed at the same time every night
4. Get up at the same time every morning even if you didn’t sleep
5. If you nap during the day don’t sleep longer than 15 to 20 min
6. If you lay in bed for 15 min and don’t fall asleep get out of bed and do something relaxing (meditate, stretch, deep breathing exercises) for 10 min or so then try to sleep again. Repeat until you fall asleep
7. Look up deep muscle relaxation (do this exercise when you first lay down)
Ok, that should get you started. One last thing you need to keep this pattern up for 7 weeks. If your sleep patterns are behavioral this should take care of it. If you have any questions please feel free to email or call.
Greta Jaeger, LPC, CPLC